Common name of source: also known as Strychnos nux vomica or poison nut, the tree is native to the coromandel coast of India and some parts of China. The seeds are strongly bitter owing to the presence of strychnia and brucea that exists together alongwith certain peculiar acids. Nux Vomica is pre-eminently the remedy for many of the conditions incidental to modern life. It is considered a good polychrest that establishes a sort of equilibrium of forces and counteracting chronic effects
The leading characteristics of Nux Vomica
- Ailments from bad effects of coffee, alcohol, tobacco, spicy food, over-eating, loss of sleep.
- Convulsions with consciousness; worse from anger, emotions, touch and moving.
- Pains are tingling, sticking, aching, worse from motion and contact.
- Fever with severe chill, must be covered in every stage of fever; chill is worse from motion.
- Strangulated umbilical hernia of infants and children.
- Snuffles of infants; stoppage of nose.
- Constipation; with frequent unsuccessful desire; sensation as if not finished.
- Menses irregular, never at right time; every two weeks; stopping and starting again.
- Labour pains violent, spasmodic; cause fainting, urging to defecate or urinate.
- One of the best remedies with which to commence treatment in those who are drugged by hot and strong medicines.
The Nux Vomica Adult
Nux vomica types are ambitious, thrive on challenges and decision making and are often found in managerial or entrepreneurial jobs. They are mentally and verbally agile and express themselves with brisk clarity and flashes of ironic wit. They are impatient and readily explode with anger. In their drive to achieve they may use alcohol or drugs to enhance their performance or to help them relax. They are likely to have high sex drive. When ill, they are ungracious and quick to snap.
- Physical appearance: Nux vomica people are lean, tense-looking dapper individuals with an irascible air. They are inclined to have lined faces that flush in a dusky fashion when excited, swallow skin and dark circles under the eyes.
- Personality traits: Highly strung, energetic, competitive achievers, Nux vomica types work and play hard. Intolerant of criticism towards themselves, they are, however, highly critical of others, insisting on perfection
- Fears: Failure in business, death, crowds and public places
- Food preferences: Likes rich, fatty foods, fatty meat, cream, full fat cheese. Upset by alcohol, coffee, spicy foods, chilli peppers, curries
- Patient feels better from; warmth and humidity, on lying down, a nap or a good sleep, by applying firm pressure.
- Patient feels worse in; cold, dry, wintry or windy weather, noise, spicy foods, mental over exertion.
- Weak areas of the body: Stomach, Bowels, Liver, Lungs, Nerves
The Nux Vomica Child
- Nervy, irritable and hyperactive
- Hates to be contradicted and inclined to throw terrible tantrums.
- Grumpy on walking
- Suffers from frequent stomach aches
- As an adolescent, likely to be rebellious and defiant
- Strong sense of justice and inclined to be idealistic
Nux Vomica is specially suited to
It is a remedy par excellence for the following types of patients:
(a) who are oversensitive: Oversensitive to noise, light, touch, cold air, surroundings, food, spices, rich food, hot food, over-eating, tea, coffee, narcotics, allopathic medicines, wine, alcoholic preparations;
(b) who are irritable, touchy, offended even by harm-less words; inclination to commit suicide, but are afraid to die; easily excited or angered; cannot bear contradictions; trifling ailments and pains are unbearable;
(c) who are sedentary in habits (physical idleness), undergo mental exertion; loss of sleep; anxious, full of worries;
(d) who are chilly, always taking cold which extends from nose to chest, worse from draught of cold air; worse from uncovering; must be covered in every stage of fever;
(e) who have a tendency to faint: from odours; after eating; after every labour pain; in the morning
Nux Vomica compared with other homeopathy remedy
|Left sided remedy.||Right sided remedy.|
|Saliva predominantly diminished.||Saliva most frequently increased.|
|Nasal secretion is thick.||Nasal secretion is watery|
|Better rising from bed.||Worse after rising from bed.|
|Worse from the heat of the sun.||Worse in snowy or cold air.|
|Better in the open/walking in the open air.||Worse in the open/walking in the open air.|
As per William Boericke Nux Vomica can be compared with Strychnia, Kali carb, Hydrastis, Bryonia Lycopodium, Graphites. Complementary remedies; Sulphur, Sepia.
Nux Vomica medicinal uses, drug benefits, side effects
|Stomach related problems||Nux vomica is helpful in stomach irritation and regulates peristalsis (involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine). It also helps in chronic gastritis – often accompanied by chronic liver and pancreatic dysfunction including symptoms such as a coated tongue, nausea with vomiting, a bitter taste in the mouth and constipation. Check Adel 5 drops.|
|Nux vomica calms incessant floods of stimuli, spastic situations and irritations, irritations of all kinds including irritations of the mind, and over stressed nervous situations. It is highly beneficial in digestive disturbances portal congestion and hypochondriac states depending theteon. Check Adel Alfalfa tonic.|
|Nervous irritability, hypochondria, stomach constriction, disturbances due to nicotin. Check Reckeweg R5 drops.|
|Hypochondria, liver constriction and congestion, nausea, abuse of tobacco, icterus, gastro-duodenal catarrh, constipation. Check Reckeweg R7 drops|
|Headache||Headache in occiput or over eyes, worse in morning, after mental exertion, by intake of tobacco, alcohol and coffee, dullness and confusion in the head are covered by this ingredient. Check Schwabe Alpha HA drops|
|Motion sickness||said to be the drug for many conditions incident to modern life. It has a calming effect on digestive, portal and hypochondrail spheres. Headache, vertigo, nausea, vomiting abdominal colics and symptoms due to over exertion are covered by this medicine. Check Schwabe Alpha MS|
|Respiratory||Cigarettes, smoke, dust, toxic stimulants have adverse effect on the delicate tissues of respiratory organs. These result in catarrhal hoarseness, spasmodic contractions, breathlessness, (shallow respiration and oppressed breathing,) hacking cough and headache. These symptoms respond well by this ingredient. Check Schwabe Alpha RC Tablets|
|Weakness||treats dysfunction caused due to over indulgence in sex, stimulants and fat foods. It is also indicated for irritability, weakness and indigestion that are result of alcohol. It treats neuralgias (intense, typically intermittent pain along the course of a nerve) and cramps. Check Schwabe alfalfa tonic|
|It is a stomachic tonic and stimulates various organs including motor nerve cells of spinal cord. It has been sound useful in weakness due to anaemia, indigestion, gastritis, weak absorption from intestines. Check Schwabe Anekind globules|
Buy Nux Vomica medicines online
|Mother Tincture Q||SBL
|Dilution (available in 6c, 30c, 200c, 1m, 10m)||SBL
|Pills (available in 6c, 30c, 200c, 1m, 10m)||Homeopathy Nux Vomica 2 Dram Pills
Boiron Nux Vomica 30c, 200c Pillules
|Specialities||King & Co Bomagall Drops K2
Allen A93 Alcoholism Drops
Wheezal Dr Farokh J M Pylex Tablets
Bhargava Gas Off Tablet
Hahnemann Pharma Super Digesto Syrup
Wheezal WL55 Diarrhoea & Colic Drops
Allen A70 Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Drops
Bhargava Gastica Syrup
Hahnemann pharma complete health tonic
Allen A77 Stress Drops
Dr.Raj Gastrocid Syrup
SBL Drops No 6
Schwabe Alpha HA drops
Nux Vomica side effects & Precautions
High dosage of nux vomica may lead to toxicity. Do not take for more than a week. It may cause severe side effects like: restlessness, anxiety, dizziness, neck and back stiffness, spasms of jaw and neck muscles, convulsions, seizures, breathing problems, liver failure.
Avoid consuming it if suffering with such diseases like: Debility, liver diseases, heat, exhaustion, kidney diseases, high blood pressure.
Note: Nux vomica has antioxidants, which are beneficial to overall health, taking antioxidants in doses that are too high can result in health problems.
Avoid use during Pregnancy and Breast Feeding.