About Aconitum Napellus – a Poison or an herbal remedy?
What is Aconitum Napellus?
- Aconitum napellus is a flowering plant from the Ranunculaceae family and aconitum genus.
- It is native to the regions of western and central Europe.
- It goes by other names such as wolfs bane, monkshood, aconite, wuergling, goat death and Venus carriage.
As a deadly weapon (ancient)
- There have been many cases of Aconitum Napellus toxicity.
- Ingestion of the herb can induce vomiting, high blood pressure and tachycardia.
- During the ancient times, Aconitum Napellus was used to poison arrows used in wolves, hence its other name was coined, wolfs bane.
As a homeopathic remedy
- Aconitum Napellus was observed to be effective for neuropathy.
- It depresses the vasomotor center of the body by blocking the sodium channels.
- The Lappaconitine compound suppresses the expression of purinergic receptor.
- Aconitum Napellus is a poisonous herb that can induce toxicity when ingested or even when just touched.
- When diluted, as in homeopathy, Aconitum Napellus can be a good herbal remedy for neuropathic conditions.
- Make sure you consult a certified homeopath beforehand.
The leading characteristics of Aconite Napellus (indications)
- Aphonia (loss of voice), tonsillitis, croup, laryngitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, pleurisy, otitis (inflammation of ear) and other inflammatory diseases from exposure to cold winds.
- Retention of urine from shock.
- Amenorrhoea in plethoric (full-blooded) young girls after fright.
- Complaints after hair-cut.
- Pains are unbearable, they drive him to despair or make him crazy; worse at night, make him toss about in agony; facial neuralgia (nerve pain), toothache, orchitis (inflammation of testicles), pleurisy, pericarditis (inflammation of the membrane covering heart), etc.
- Asthma from active hyperemia (excess of blood) of lungs.
- Fever: Skin dry hot; face could be red, or pale alternately; great thirst for large quantities of cold water; with intense, nervous restlessness, anxiety and fear; whole body burning hot.
- Convulsions of teething children with high fever.
- Haemorrhages: Bright red blood; with anxiety and fear of death.
- Dysentery: When Merc., though indicated, fails.
- Incarcerated (occluded) hernia with vomiting of bile great anxiety and fear of death.
- Ailments: From intense cold of winter or extreme heat of sun; suppressed perspiration; excitement; shock; anger; fright; excessive joy.
- Ailments: With vanishing of sight suddenly; fainting; red face becomes pale on rising from recumbent position; hot dry skin; unconquerable anxiety, restlessness; anxiety with fear, fear of death; predicts the time of death.
- Sciatica attended with or succeeded by numbness of the affected parts.
- Ailments from bad effects of fear still remaining.
- Especially adapted to those:
- who are fearful; apprehensive of being in a crowd with noise and cheer or to cross the street; great fear and anxiety in mind with ailments; l general outlook towards life is rendered miserable by fear; is sure his disease will kill him; and predicts the day and time of his death;
- who are anxious, restless, do everything in great hurry or haste; must change position often; everything startles them; remain disquiet;
- to whom music is unbearable, makes them sad;
- who are disposed to mental, nervous troubles, congestion, hemorrhages, neuralgias (nerve pain).
Aconitum Nap compared with other similar homeopathy medicines
|Aconitte Nap||Nux Vomica||Pulsatilla|
|Left sided, particularly lower left and upper right.||A Right sided remedy.||Right sided, particularly lower right and upper left.|
|Saliva predominantly diminished.||Saliva most frequently increased.|
|Nasal secretion is thick.||Nasal secretion is watery.|
|Better rising from bed.||Worse after rising from bed|
|Worse from the heat of the sun.||Worse in snowy or cold air.|
|Better in the open /walking in the open air.||Worse in the open/ walking in the open air.|
|Itching generally unchanged by scratching||Itching changed or aggravated by scratching.|
|Eyes protruding.||Eyes sunken.|
|Acute sensitive smell.||Predominant loss of smell.|
|Cough generally dry.||Cough most frequently with expectoration.|
|Predominantly better from warmth.||Predominantly worse from warmth.|
Aconitum Napellus Uses/Benefits in various conditions
|Fever||Cold waves pass through during chill. Thirst, restlessness always present. High fever; dry burning heat. Check Allen Fever Syrup|
|Thirst, restlessness always present. High fever; dry burning heat, must uncover. Check A33 Fever Drops|
|Physical and mental restlessness with fever and great feeling of weakness, complaints and tension caused by exposure to dry, cold weather, draught of cold air, smell acutely sensitive, pain at the root of nose, mucous membrane dry, nose dry or with scanty watery coryza, throat is red, dry and constricted. Check Alpha CF Tablets|
|Asthma||Stabbing pain in the chest, feeling of anxiety, thanatophobia, cough gasping and dry, sensation of constriction of chest. Check Reckeweg R76 Drops|
|Teething||Feverish conditions; ailments occurring from chills under one guise or the other, coinciding or alternating with toothaches. Excitement, tendency to cry. Check Reckeweg R25 Drops|
|Headache||Is a classic headache treatment that addresses burning and stabbing pains with the feeling of “running ants” (formication) and numbness. It also helps relieve restlessness caused by psychic stress, and decreases hypersensitivity to light, noises or even the slightest draft of wind. Check German Adel 1 drops|
|Respiratory catarrh (cough cold & flu)||Initial inflammatory conditions, sensitivity to cold inspired air resulting in minor congestion, difficulty in breathing, dry cough and influenza like symptoms are covered by this medicine. It covers catarrh due to cold. Check Alpha RC Tablets|
|Hoarse, dry, whoopy cough, short hacking, on expiration grasps larynx. Short barking, ringing or whistling cough. Check Allen A66 drops|
|Physical and mental restlessness, tension; fever; oppressed breathing, hoarse, dry, croupy cough, shortness of breath; body ache and headache call for this medicine. Exposure to cold and initial complaints due to it are well covered. Check Schwabe Nisikind Globules for children|
|It covers the complaints caused by exposure to dry cold weather, draught of cold air or very hot weather. It is a valuable remedy in inflammatory fever with mental anguish and restlessness, fever with much heat, dry burning skin, violent thirst, red face or alternate red and pale face, nervous excitability, pulse hard, frequent and accelerated. It is useful in otitis due to cold. Check Aconitum Pentarkan Tablets|
|Sciatica||Colds caused by dry cold air. Fommications and pains in legs. Paraesthesias especially at night. Check Dr.Reckeweg R71 drops|
|Bronchitis||Hoarse, dry, whoopy cough. Check Allen A65 Bronchitis Drops|
|Immunity||Boosts immune system in people suffering from recurrent illness on exposure to cold weather. Check Allen A68 Immunity Drops|
|Urinary Tract Infections||Micturition painful, difficult, drop by drop, urine fiery scalding hot, red or dark coloured. Check Allen A71 Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) Drops|
|Chronic Anxiety||Acute anxiety with agonizing terrors and fear of death. Frequent palpitations. The patient is inconsolable and restless. Check Allen A78 Chronic Anxiety drops|
|Boils||Boils, red, hot, swollen and burning. Check Allen A81 Skin Abscess and Boils drops|
|Eosinophilia||Eosinophilia with mental anxiety, restlessness, fear and thirst. Check Allen A85 Eosinophilia Drops|
|Proteinuria||Pain in loins, scanty urine with albuminuria. Check Allen A86 Proteinuria Drops|
|Chronic Kidney Diseases||Nephritis. Pain in loins, scanty urine with albuminuria. Check Allen A92 Chronic Kidney Diseases Drops|
Aconite Homeopathy Medicine list
|Aconitum Napellus Mother Tincture Q||SBL|
|Aconitum Napellus Dilution (available in 6C, 30C, 200C, 1M, 10M)|
|Aconitum Napellus Pills||Homeopathy Aconite Napellus 2 Dram Pills|
|Boiron Aconitum Napellus 30c, 200c Pillules|
|Aconitum Napellus Homeopathy Specialities||Schwabe Aconitum Pentarkan tablets|
|Wheezal WL 36 Sciatica and Slip Disc Drops|
|Wheezal Dr Farokh J M Hyperplex Tablets|
|King & Co Releane K8 Drops|
|Allen A78, Homeopathic Drops for Chronic Anxiety|
|SBL Tranquil Tablets for Anxiety and Stress|
|Dr.Bakshi B18 Teeth drops|
|Dr.Reckeweg R16 Migraine & Neuralgia drops|
Aconite Dosage & Side effects
Aconite is prescribed in Sixth potency for sensory affections; first to third for congestive conditions. Must be repeated frequently in acute diseases. Acon is a rapid worker. In Neuralgias tincture of the root (Q) often preferable, one drop doses (poisonous), or again, the 30th according to susceptibility of patient.
Side Effects & Precautions
Aconite root is unsafe when taken by mouth. If taken in the large quantity Aconite can be harmful as contains a strong, fast-acting poison that causes severe side effects such as nausea, vomiting, weakness or inability to move, sweating, breathing problems & heart problems.
Using aconite in a cream or lotion that is applied to the skin is also dangerous. The poisons in aconite can be absorbed through the skin, causing severe side effects.
Pregnancy/Lactation: In addition to oral administration, external application is reported to cause toxic symptoms. Avoid use.
Contraindications: no Contraindications have yet been identified.