Melasma not only affects the face but neck, chest, or arms and any patch of skin that sees the sun a lot. However Melasma on face that causes distress and embarrassment as it affects appearance and self esteem. It appears mostly on on the bridge of the nose, chin, and forehead which are highly visible on the face. Melasma results in darker than normal skin (usually in a symmetrical manner) affecting cheeks, forehead, upper lip, nose and chin
Melasma is a common skin problem that causes brown to gray-brown patches or patches of dark discoloration on your skin, usually on the face. Most people get it on their cheeks, nose bridge, forehead, chin, and above their upper lip. It also can appear on other parts of the body that get lots of sun, such as the forearms and neck. Melasma is caused in part by hormonal changes within the body but Sun exposure can trigger melasma because the pigment cells in the skin are responsible for producing color in the skin and are stimulated by UV rays from the sun. Melanocyte-stimulating hormone secretion from the pituitary is increased by exposure to the Sun’s UV light and oxidation occurs causing skin spots.
A study by Journal of Pigmentary Disorders indicates that melasma has multifactorial etiology such as photoexposure and hormonal influences such as pregnancy, intake of oral contraceptive pills and thyroid disorders.
Difference between Melasma and Sunburn: melasma is a type of skin condition characterized by darker patches of skin, however, it is different from other forms of skin hyperpigmentation in that it is not just sun-related but also hormones. Sunburn causes changes in skin tone, such as pinkness or redness which may last between 5-7 days and can lead to tanning of the skin
How to get rid of pigmentation on the face?
- Avoid Sun: A common cause of melasma is sun exposure. Women are much more likely than men to develop this condition.
- Another common cause is hormonal changes during pregnancy It is referred to as the mask of pregnancy because hormones can trigger these dark areas on the face. The brown or grey-brown patches of melasma appear most often on the cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin. In women, melasma often fades on its own after pregnancy or after an affected woman stops taking contraceptive pills.
- Masoor dal face masks, which are made from red lentils, are popular as a hyperpigmentation treatment.
- Follow the doctor-recommended anti-melasma kit and complete the course
How can I remove Melasma from my face naturally?
You need a combination of internal medicines and external application cream for neutralizing the ill effects of multiple causes of Melasma. It tends to be much more common in women than it is in men for various reasons, prominent of which is the role of hormone imbalance. Other risk factors are
- Ultraviolet rays affect the cells that control pigment (melanocytes), it is acquired hypermelanosis of sun exposed area.
- Contra health effects of birth control pills, pregnancy, and hormone therapy
- Thyroid disease
- Vascular dilatation in the melasma affected area.
- Pregnancy induced
Homeopathy offers you a set of remedies that act in various ways (as indicated below) to help you remove Melasma naturally from face and other body parts. Dr.Pranjali, a popular homeopathic doctor and well known YouTube presenter with more than 2 million followers recommends a homeopathy kit that can help you treat Melasma at home naturally.
Can your cure Melasma from the inside ?
Yes , you can reduce melasma pigmentation naturally by taking a inside out approach. Hormonal influences are the main cause of a particular kind of hyperpigmentation known as melasma or chloasma. It’s particularly common among women and is thought to occur when the female sex hormones estrogen and progesterone stimulate the overproduction of melanin when skin is exposed to the sun. This can be controlled internally.
Which means you can cure melasma from the inside with certain chosen remedies pointed out by homeopathic doctors like Dr.Pranjali.
- Berberis Aquifolium acts by clearing the skin pores and toning up the skin. It decreases the pigmentation of scars and efficiently cleanses the complexion of the face. It is very well indicated for deep rooted scars or scar like pigmentation. Berberis Aquifolium can be used in all the cases where the skin is dark or has scars due to acne, pigmentation or any other conditions. This medicine never fails to bring a glow to the skin and lighten the complexion. Dr. Vikas sharma considers it as the first choice of medicine in cases where a clear facial complexion is desired
- Sepia is an effective remedy to treat skin pigmentation with dirty brownish discoloration on the face or any part of the body. Sepia is very suitable for women with facial pigmentation arising during pregnancy and after childbirth. It works equally well for women who develop facial pigmentation during menopause
- Discoloration of skin occurs in women with menstrual and uterine disorders. Skin is hot and dry, Caulophyllum 30 is recommended. Since hot skin can cause vascular dilatation leading to melasma, this remedy is particularly useful
- Plumbum Met acts as a depigmenting agent that treats melasma with yellow, corpse like spots on sunken cheeks. Skin of face is greasy and shiny. Face is pale and emaciated or weak.
- There are several reports (ref sources – semantic scholar, PubMed, Scopus, Magiran) that point to a relationship between digestive problems such as gastritis with melasma. There is a reference to Persian medicine such as the Canon of Medicine by Avicenna and Al-Havi of Razi. Atrophic gastritis is a digestive problem that causes zinc deficiency. Zinc deficiency may increase estrogen . Excess estrogen increases alpha melanocyte stimulating hormone (α msh) which can can cause melasma. Dr.Pranjali recommends a combination of Carbo Veg 30+ Argentum Nit 30 to address this melasma causing problem internally
- Body tendency to produce melasma causes the symptoms to worsen in summer in some people and during winter, the pigmentation in melasma tends regresses. Heredity also plays an important role in predisposing a person to facial pigmentation. Bacillinum Burnett 1M is a homeopathic internal medicine which helps your body to reduces this seasonal or hereditary tendency towards Melasma
Melasma treatment cream for Melasma on face
The current commonly used treatment for melasma on face is hydroquinone cream or gel, a bleaching agent. This is marketed for reducing age spots and blemishes and topical depigmenting application. However there is a proposed ban on hydroquinone as studies in rodents show “some evidence” that hydroquinone may act as a carcinogen or cancer-causing chemical. Instead a good sun protection factor or SPF cream like Schwabe B&T Sunscreen Expert is the most important part of a pigment centered routine. Schwabe B and T Sunscreen Expert with SPF 30 enriched with Calendula, Berberis and Aloe Vera
Homeopathic facial creams like Marks Go Cream can help lighten facial pigmentation and in time, could make them fade away given that other factors are conducive
All the above indicated medicines is found in Dr.Pranjali recommended Anti-Melasma Kit intended as melasma treatment at home
Tip: Skin pigmentation is a common manifestation in nutritional deficiencies and frequently associated with deficiency of vitamin B12 . Homeopathic Bakson Vitamin D Plus Tablets, is a s a rich source of vitamin D and other minerals and contains: Calcium citrate, vitamins C, vitamin b1, vitamin b2, vitamin b5, vitamin b9, vitamin b12, vitamin d3 etc
Related: 12 Tips for Suntan removal at home including alternative treatment