Homeopathic doctors are trained to view an obese patient condition from all angles to arrive at an individualized treatment plan that not only address all the symptoms of obesity (weight loss) but also prevent a relapse. Being a holistic system of medicine , homeopathic treatment of obesity is based on the individualization theory and selection of remedy also uses symptoms similarity. A homeopathic doctor approaches obesity treatment with the aim of not only treating it but also address the underlying cause and patient susceptibility.
Targets for obesity treatment
- Doctors have certain goal posts while treating obesity and these are as follows
- No targets are defined for treating children less than 2 years who have overweight or obesity.
- For overweight children in the age group of 2-5 yr weigh maintenance is all that Is required.
- For obese children in the same group, weight maintenance is attempted. A minimal weight loss of 0.5 kg/month may be permitted if it occurs with a balanced diet supplying adequate calories.
- For overweight children in the age group of 6-ll yr weight maintenance is adequate.
- For obese children in the same group, weight maintenance or a minimal weight loss of 0.5 kg/month may be attempted. If the child’s BMI is more than 99th percentile, a moderate weight loss of not more than 1kg/wk may be attempted.
- For overweight adolescents in the age group of 12-18 yr weight maintenance is adequate.
- For obese adolescents in the same group, a moderate weight loss not more than l kg/wk may be attempted
Three important markers by doctors in obesity treatment
- Health co-morbidities like that of thyroid and Diabetes are prime suspects in obesity treatment. For instance the relation between diabetes and obesity is getting clear – Body mass index has a strong relationship with diabetes and insulin resistance. In obesity non-esterified fatty acids, glycerol, hormones, Cytokines and pro-inflammatory markers are increased. These substances are involved in development of insulin resistance. If failure of A-islet cells of the pancreas is accompanied by insulin resistance development of diabetes become more certain.
- Environmental risk factors for obesity are strong and inter related. Sub optimal cognitive stimulation at home and poor socio-economic status predicts development of obesity. Parental food choices significantly modify child food preference and degree of parental adiposity is a surrogate for children fat preferences. Short sleep duration in children is also associated with an increase in the odds of becoming obese as well as increase in body fat percent.
- Rapid societal changes significantly contribute to child obesity. Urbanization related intake behaviors that include frequent consumption of fast foods, eating over sized portions of high calorie, high fat food alongwith sweetened beverages , television viewing and mobile induced low levels of physical activities are the culprits
Homeopathic Management of obesity
Maintaining an energy balance between calories consumed on the one hand, and calories used on the other hand is the fundamental rule to overcome from obesity. This goal is achieved by limiting energy intake from total fats, shifting fat consumption away from saturated fats to unsaturated fats, increasing consumption of fruit and vegetables,legumes, whole grains and nuts and limiting the intake of sugars. Increasing calories used is achieved by more physical activities – to atleast 30 minutes of regular, moderate-intensity exercise on most days.
Homeopathic therapeutics to manage obesity
Homeopathic remedies help in two ways to manage Obesity,
i) Dynamic way of breaking the constitutional nature of obesity.
(ii) Molecular Way like accelerating the fat burns and modulating the hunger Pattern. It also helps to combat secondary Obesity linked with diseased Conditions like PCOD, thyroid dysfunction, defective metabolism, etc. Below are the remedies that are helpful in managing obesity presented accordingly to the way they work.
Doctors consider these homeopathic obesity treatment medicines as constitutional breakers
Calcarea Carbonica: it is indicated When metabolism is low and fat accumulated on belly. It is indicated in chilly patient having tendency to Perspire profusely especially on head. Desire for boiled egg, chalk, clay, Pencils, lime etc Costive patient due to sluggish physical activity, It is also indicated in obesity due to thyroid dysfunction,
Natrum muriaticum: It is indicated if excess of fat mainly in the thighs and buttocks as compared to other parts of the body. It is useful if weight gained due to stress or depression. Hot Patient with intolerance of sun heat causes headache, vertigo etc. The desire for salt or salty food. Anemic individuals are covered. Patients have an aversion to consolation and company, like to be alone.
Lycopodium: is also indicated if excess of fat mainly in the thighs and buttocks as compared to other parts of the body. The patients who require Lycopodium are chronic sufferers of gastric troubles like flatulence and Constipation. They are very fond of hot food and drinks, Sweet foods. Mentally, the person requiring this medicine is very irritable and easily roused to anger, especially on being contradicted,
Capsicum annuumi: lt is indicated if persons are fat, sluggish and indolent, opposed to physical exertion, get homesick easily, averse to go outside of their ‘routine, General uncleanliness of ‘body. Thirsty person but shuddering on drinking water. Thirsty after stool, with shivering.
Graphite : It is indicated in generalized obesity. Well suited to fat, chilly, and costive women with delayed menstrual history and tendency to take cold easily. Individual may have tendency skin eruption with sticky discharge. Patients have an aversion to meat and sweets& hot drinks disagree. This is a great remedy when a lady tends to put on body weight during menopause and suffered delayed menses previously.
Asafoetida: It is indicated in obese individual with tendency to flatulence and spasmodic contraction of stomach and oesophagus with reverse peristalisis. Well suited to the hysterical and hypochondriacal patients. Great difficulty in bringing up wind. Flatulence and regurgitation of liquid. Gurgling and rolling of wind, which escapes afterwards with loud and difficult eructation.
Thyroidinum: Obesity linked with thyroid dysfunction. It is indicated in easy fatigue, weak pulse, palpitation tendency to fainting, cold hands and feet, chilliness, low blood pressure and sensitive to cold. Anxiety about chest, as if constricted. Palpitation from least exertion. It exerts great influence over goiter and excessive obesity and acts best in females with paleness and uterine fibroids.
Doctors identify these Mother tinctures to help reducing weight directly acting on the pathological level
Anothemisnobilis: A recent study concluded that the drug possesses anti-hyperglycaemic and anti-obesity effects. It is a remedy for the digestive system. It also indicated gastric disturbance with coldness. It is useful in aching in region of liver. It has marked anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic Properties, which make it helpful when applied to imitated skin.
Cynarascolymus: lt is indicated for obesity with boulimia and polyurea, excessive salivation, frequent evacuations, congested and enlarged liver, increased arterial tension precordial angina, strabismus: diplopia. polyurea and nymphomania. Recent researches focus on its hypoglycaemic and anti-oxidant activities with success.
Emblica officinalis: in the recent study it is found that Emblica officinalis anti-obesity potential. its hypercholesteracmic anti -inflammatory, antitussive and gastro protective. .
Fucas vesiculosus: It is remedy for obesity linked thyroid dysfunction. Exophthalmic goiter Sensation as if forehead is compressed by an iron ring. Obstinate constipation. Digestion is furthered and flatulence diminished. Thyroid enlargement in obese subjects, Research in Italy (1976) proved is anti-obesity weight reduction properties According to R. Morrison, it is indicated to hyperthyroid.
Gambogia (Garciniamorella): Research interest has gained recently with this drug on anti-obesity activity. The remedy’s role in obesity and weight reduction is scientifically established. Administration of its constituent Gambogic acid significantly decreased the body weight of mice fed a high fat diet, whereas, there was no decrease in lean mice suggesting its role limited to the obesity not reducing the weight in normal subjects. It has property to increase metabolism so it helps in weight loss. Gambogia contains certain amount of vitamin “C” and has been used as heart tonic. From the recent study it has come to know that Gambogia has antioxidant and anticancer properties.
Ilex paraguayensis: It contains phenolic acid which inhibits secretion of pancreatic lipase and lipoprotein lipase enzymes and helps to reduce fat. It also helps with cholesterol metabolism.
Phytolacca berry: researchers have identified a glycoprotein called pokemitogen, which is responsible anti-obesity effect & Phytolacca berry. A series studies examined the impact of pokeweed mitogen on body food intake and blood glucose concentrations in mice. The result of the studies demonstrated Pokeweed mitogen has weight -reducing effects when administered to mice.
Lycopersicum esculentum: cooper recommends its use in cases of obesity. The tomato pre-meal ingestion seemed to interfere positively in body weight, fat percentage, and blood levels glucose, triglycerides, cholesterol, and uric acid of the young adult women that participated in this study.
What a leading doctor opines about losing weight with Biochemic salts
Dr. Vasilka Yurukova, a leading medical and integrative practitioner recommends following a healthy diet, a moderate exercise regime and for 2 or 3 month s take tissue salts that will detoxify your body and will improve your metabolism. When your metabolism rate is higher, you will be able to lose more weight.
The three tissue salts for weight loss include potassium phosphate, sodium sulphate and sodium phosphate. They are natural, safe and cost effective.
* In the morning take tissue salt Kali phosphate (potassium phosphate) in the morning, It is a nerve tonic and it is particularly helpful in stress-related eating and for people who get irritable when on a weight-reducing diet.
* At lunch take tissue salt Natrum sulphate (sodium sulphate). It acts as a cleanser and purifier of toxins and eliminates excessive water from tissues. It helps healthy functioning of the liver and has a mild diuretic action. In the evening take tissue salt
Natrum phosphate(sodium phosphate). It maintains acid-base balance, improves metabolism and digestion, and eliminates fluid retention. Nat Phos is the great pH balancer in the body and is one of the most effective natural antacids there is. Whenever there is more acid than necessary in your body, your digestion suffers and there’s heartburn, flatulence, sometimes constipation, sometimes diarrhea.
All this adds up to your metabolic rate not being what it should with the result of more weight than what should be your optimum weight as well as water retention — which also adds to your weight.
If you are looking for fast weight loss, Nat Phos is not for you – it’s a remedy that prides itself on being slow and sure. So no quick weight loss with Nat Phos but it’s steady weight loss till you reach your optimum weight.