‘Homeopathic treatment’ does not imply cure in a general sense, it only indicates to a highly personalized treatment plan that understands your constitutional (body) make up and selection of homeopathic remedy suited to your situation. There is no absolute answer or one-size-fits-all approach that will apply to all patients all the time. It is going to depend on the patient, the type of illness they have, and the way they are reacting to this illness. It is also going to depend on the practitioner, since, as experience grows, it becomes possible to use distinct approaches and different remedy selection in similar circumstances with good results.
Having said that, you don’t have to be an expert in physiology, anatomy or pharmacology to get started with self help on homeopathy. What you need is a keen sense of observation to identify the symptoms of you or your loved ones and any changes occurring over time. With the information and guidance provided, it will be a good starting point for you to take care of minor injuries or illness at home without having to visit a doctor.
A chronic issue or a medical condition however requires the help and guidance of a professionally trained homeopathic expert (homeopath). You can use our online professional help to find a homeopath suited for your condition. Remember Homeopathic medicine is complementary to good quality medical support, not a substitute. Please use your common sense, and always read instructions on any product.
Simple guidelines towards effective Homeopathy Treatment
The following steps have been outlined to get you started with first aid or treating minor illnesses with homeopathy. The same has been explained in a simple flow chart (infographic above)
- First watch, monitor and examine the symptoms. You need to take notice of any that are abnormal or extra ordinary. Detect if any change in mood occurs and whether it is makes the symptoms better or worse. Correlate that to any pattern of behavior or environmental factors and write your observations down.
- Next, the list of symptoms you prepared needs to be compared to the descriptions of the medication or remedies for that illness (similes). Select the remedy that most closely fits the symptoms bearing in mind that not every symptom has to match. You need a close fit.
- Homeopathic medicines are indicated by their strength in potencies and they comes in various power: the 6c, 12c, and 30c strengths are mild and gentle and perfect for home use. For most acute conditions treated at home, a 30c potency is enough. The following simple flow chart will help you on choosing the right potency (strength).
- After you have done the match and selected the remedy, administer one dose (3-5 pellets) under the tongue and then WAIT and OBSERVE. Give another dose if there is no improvement at all within a few hours.
- If there is no change after 3 similar attempts or doses then it you may need to try a different remedy or contact a homeopath.
- No need to abandon or give up if your symptoms don’t improve with the first remedy. It sometimes takes a couple of attempts to find the “best match” remedy for your symptoms – especially if you’re recent to homeopathy. However if you are unsuccessful at your attempts and continue to have trouble finding the right remedy for your symptoms, make sure to consult a homeopathic professional.
- Still puzzled?
Head to our Homeopathy Repertory Index where you can find remedies for all kinds of symptoms . This ready reckoner is a hand tool for anyone looking up symptom wise medicines.
How frequently to take a Remedy
Unlike Conventional medicines, homeopathic remedy is taken only when needed and discontinued once the ailments start to improve. Conventional medicines are usually taken on a regular basis – for example every 4 hours or every 6 hours.
How regularly or frequently a remedy is taken can vary depending on whether the illness is acute or chronic:
- An acute condition is one that persists for a short duration or time but can start quickly and have strong symptoms.
- A chronic disease is continual and unrelenting. It lasts for a long period of time and might happen again.
A 30c potency homeopathic medicine usually takes care of the acute conditions treated at home. If the symptoms are acute such as a muscle pain from sports injury or overuse, a dose of Arnica 200c may be required.
For acutely ill or injured patients like those with colds, flu’s, fevers, injuries, etc, can tolerate high or low potencies repeated often. “Often or Frequently” means every few minutes in pressing or urgent situations and perhaps every 3 to 4 hours in less urgent situations. The frequency should gradually reduce or taper off as the patient makes recovery. Even many over-sensitive patients will react well to this kind of repetition. Do not be afraid to change remedies frequently with acutely ill or injured patients if their symptoms change or results seem insufficient.
Once the remedy is selected , administer one dose (3-5 pellets) under the tongue and then wait and observe. If there is no improvement at all within a few hours give another dose. If after 3 doses there is no change then it is likely time to try a different remedy or contact a healthcare professional.
For chronically ill patients:
Patients with long-term illnesses or health issues need care of a professional because it requires a lot more knowledge and experience to successfully treat these patients. In general, the remedy is most often given only once at the outset of treatment and will begin either with low potencies repeated frequently or with higher potencies repeated occasionally or infrequently. This is followed by a period of observation to allow the patient and homeopath to observe changes that may occur as a result of the remedy. Further course of treatment depends fully on how the patient responds to the initial dosing . Some patients may undergo a dose as infrequently as every few months while others could be taking higher potencies daily after some time. Another common practice is that the remedies are changed infrequently.
Just note that not every illness can be treated at home. You may not find the remedy or having difficulties identifying it as outlined above, then it would be a good idea to consult a professional homeopath to help identify the right remedy and cure. Remember chronic illnesses or ailments should always be handled and treated by a trained professional. You may use our online homeopathy doctor Directory to find a homeopath suited to you and get face to face online consultation from the comforts of your home.
And the is bottom line is
Understand homeopathy better to make full use of its healing powers. Simple rules like paying attention to the patient and how they are responding, and adjusting your treatment is a cardinal practice. As your experience grows you will find your confidence increasing and your results improving.
What is Potency and which to choose?
|Patents with higher sensitivity (700-1000)||Low potencies can also be considered when the symptoms are of a common nature, the illness on the physical plane. Suffer allergies, chemical sensitivities, weakened vitality, and highly developed tissue pathology. Care must be taken with elderly people and when the organs of elimination are overloaded by toxins as there is usually much hidden pathology.|
|lower sensitivity (1-300)||High potencies are suitable for these people who exhibit slow reacting nervous systems, non reactive to stimuli, and have functional disorders rather than advanced pathology. They are useful when the characteristic symptoms are mostly on the mental plane and there is good vitality|
|average sensitivity (400-700).||Moderate potencies suit such patients. These individuals demonstrate moderation in most areas. They are neither too weak nor too sensitive, and have functional diseases or the early stage of tissue pathology. They should have good vitality and their organs of elimination function well. The remedy picture should be relatively clear and the characteristics somewhat marked. Moderate potencies work well on cases that affect the vital and mental level.|
The word potency refers to degree of dilution that a homeopathic medicine has underwent in its manufacturing process and is the official definition as such. For example, ABIES CANADENSIS 6C has undergone 6 steps of dilution, each step having been a one-to-one-hundred part dilution (indicated by the letter “C” meaning centesimal). So larger the number i.e, higher potencies refer to the higher dilutions and vice versa the lower dilutions, indicated by smaller numbers, as lower potencies.
For a layman, it may seem strange that a higher potency would mean having less of the original medicinal substance. But backed by empirical evidence homeopaths contend that higher dilutions bring out powerful responses in patients specifically when they are well indicated by the similar symptoms. The fact that these medicines are referred to in high potencies is because of the profound homeopathic response they elicit.
The frequently used and available potencies are 6C, 9C & 12 C, 30C, 200C, 1,000C (abbreviated 1M), and 10,000C (abbreviated 10M). In this group low potencies are medicines designated upto 30 and those above 200 and up are referred to as high potencies. This is not the universal norm though and may vary slightly between countries as far as the mid point of 30C is concerned. There is also the ‘X’ potency which means the remedy has undergone one-to-ten dilution (indicated by “X” the Roman numeral for 10) and both 6X and 30X are considered low potencies. Then there is LM potency scale in which, each individual dilutional step is a much larger; one-to-fifty-thousand dilution
Which potency to decide and use depends on the health and vitality of the patient, the sort of illness that they have, and their reaction to that illness. The following is a brief summary of how these factors are used in potency selection.
Consider higher potencies:
- In those with good body strength and vitality
- In those not vulnerable or overly sensitive to medicines
- to those who have reacted well to treatment earlier ( history of positive responses to remedies)
- When the illness is severe or sudden
- When the patient is responding robustly to the illness.
Consider lower potencies:
- In those who are weak, sickly with poor vitality
- In those who are vulnerable or over-sensitive and become ill with every medicine they take
- to those who have reacted well to treatment earlier (history of difficult responses to remedies (such as easy aggravations)
- When the illness is unending (chronic) or slow
- When the patient has an lazy (indolent) response to the illness.
Other remedy finder tools
The resources below have been provided to help narrow your search to specific, targeted homeopathy drug information